CMS Has New Rules
for Physicians Prescribing O&P Services
Everything YOU Need to Know about
O&P DOCUMENTATION REQUIREMENTS
Payment for prosthetic devices and services is now based solely on the information in the prescribing physician’s records. Therefore, in order to be in compliance with Medicare and receive reimbursement for services prescribed, we require the following information from your medical records on your patient whom we are serving:
- Physical examination.
- History of amputation: Reason(s), date(s), and side(s).
- Assessment of the patient’s functional potential. Include limitations and capabilities with examples of activities of daily living.
- Patient’s desire to ambulate.
- Status of residual limb(s).
- Status of prosthesis (if applicable) including past experience.
The full staff at POA would be happy to help you and your staff with any questions you have about these documentation requirements. For any assistance with these new CMS rules, please call POA at 845.956.0001.
We appreciate your cooperation.